Recycle: Baby Clothing, Car Seats and other Kids Gear
A few of you have been asking about where to take your old car seats and what to do with them if they are expired. I have had a bit of trouble taking old items to the Salvation Army, Recycle It Depots and Value Village; and figured there must be an option for these expensive items.
In researching this, I have found the following:
Quoted from Lindsay Coulter, the Queen of Green; “I must admit this question initially had me stumped. I’d never heard of anyone recycling a child’s car seat before. And after a few inquiries I now understand why. It’s near impossible… the Recycling Council of B.C. (604-RECYCLE) suggested Pacific Mobile Depotswww.pacificmobiledepots.com, which sets up a depot in Vancouver, North Vancouver and Coquitlam every third Saturday of the month from 9 until noon. “
Other Options for your old car seat include:
Tips for Donating Car Seats
Read more: How to Donate a Car Seat | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5059282_donate-car-seat.html#ixzz1ZVFNzJky
Say No To Charity Organizations! Reputable charity are not allowed to accept donated car seats because they may have been in accidents or been recalled.
Check It! If your seat has even been in a minor accident, do not try to donate it. The materials may have been compromised, rendering it unsafe for use.
What’s the date? Check the date on the bottom (usually on the label on the underside of the seat) has not expired. Google the exact name and date of the seat and check the recall list to make sure that your seat is not on it.
Anyone having a baby? Contact friends and relatives to see if a buddy or family to see if they or anyone they know needs a car seat. Pass it along to another family!
Donate to parenting class! Call your Prenatal Center or College to see if they can use your car seat in their prenatal class.
Other Kids Recycling Tips: Metro Vancouver has published a fantastic guide on “101 Things to Do with your old Stuff” (Page 21)
Here is a listing of local consignment shops in Greater Vancouver. I found that after our talk from Linda Chu from Out of Chaos, there were a lot of questions about what to do with your old baby items that are slowly taking over all of our homes. Here are a few local solutions for consignment of your old goods.
Directory of Children’s Consignment in Greater Vancouver:
- Beansprouts - 4305 Main St., Vancouver, B.C. Clothing, accessories, books and toys for children 0-10 years. Accepts consignment of stylish, current, clean and excellent condition children’s clothing. Call for details. Tel: 604-871-9782
- Boomers and Echoes Kids and Maternity Ltd. - 1985 Lonsdale Ave., North Vancouver, B.C. Children’s clothing (newborn to 10 years), toys, books, furniture, shoes, equipment and accessories (e.g. baby monitors), car seats, jolly jumpers and baby carriers, maternity wear, new nursing bras and underwear. In-season, freshly-washed, good condition. All furniture and equipment must have resale value. No repairs made. No used undergarments. Cash or credit available for anything over $10. Clothing and furniture on consignment (clothing 40%, furniture 60%). Call for appointment. Tel: 604-984-6163
- Classy Kids Consignment - 3712 West 10th Ave., Vancouver, B.C. - Specializes in extraordinary children’s clothing and equipment, maternity wear and accessories. In-season children’s clothing, toys, books, strollers, and maternity wear. Call for appointment (40/60 split). Tel: 604-222-4035
- The Clothes Encounter - 1 – 3891 Chatham St., Steveston (Richmond), B.C. - Children’s clothing (newborn to teens with a good selection of designer labels), accessories, toys, furniture, baby equipment (e.g. strollers, highchairs). Everything for children. Must be in mint condition with no stains, rips or tears. Consignment only (50/50). Brand names only for consignment. Items kept for four months (end of second month 25% off, end of third month 50% off). Unsold items are returned or donated to charity. Call for appointment.Tel: 604-271-0310
- Cribs and Carriages - 1849 Lonsdale Ave., North Vancouver, B.C. Baby equipment and furniture (newborn to 4 years) including car seats, cribs, playpens and highchairs. Good condition with resale value. Buy or consignment. Drop off or arrange pick-up. Call for details. Tel: 604-988-CRIB(2742)
- Jellybeans Children’s and Maternity Consignment - 520 Clarke Rd., Coquitlam, B.C. Quality children’s clothing (newborn to teens), maternity wear, toys, and accessories (e.g. strollers, highchairs, car seats, cribs). Clean, no stains, and no mending needed. Consignment only (40-50%). Items kept for 2 months. Unsold items are returned or donated to charity. Drop-off by appointment only. Tel: 604-939-4846 (Closed)
- Kidazzles - 1253 Johnston Rd., White Rock, B.C. Good quality children’s clothing (newborn to size 16), maternity wear, baby equipment and furniture. Also carries handmade items. Freshly laundered with no rips, tears or stains. All equipment must be in good repair. Consignment only. Items kept for 3 months. Unsold items are returned or donated to charity. Call for appointment. Tel: 604-531-7931
- Kidsupply Clothing Co. 140 – 12420 No. 1 Rd., Richmond, B.C. High end, brand-name children’s clothing. Near new condition, in season, and high-end brand name. Mending, laundering and stain removal for a charge. Forty-eight hour return policy of purchases. Consignment or store credit offered. Pays on demand. Drop-off during store hours. Tel: 604-271-6415
- Kuddel Muddel Kids - 4342 Gallant Ave., North Vancouver, B.C. Children’s clothing (newborn to size 14), accessories, toys, equipment (e.g. highchairs, furniture) and books. Contemporary fashions less than 2 years old. Clean, no stains, pressed, and no mending needed. Equipment must meet current safety requirements and have resale value. Consignment only. Items kept for 12 weeks, unsold items are returned or donated to charity. Drop-off by appointment only. Tel: 604-929-2524
- Little Tykes Consignment - 6199 – 136th St., Surrey, B.C. Children’s clothing (0-10), shoes, equipment, furniture, toys, books, and videos. Gently-worn in clean, ready-to-wear condition. Non-clothing items must be in good condition and in working order. 60/40 consignment split for items under $50. 50/50 consignment split for items over $50. Please call for more details or appointment.Tel: 604-591-2606
- MacGillycuddy’s for Little People 4881 Mackenzie St., Vancouver, B.C. Contemporary children’s clothing (newborn to size 14), quality toys, books, equipment, cribs, and car seats (must meet safety requirements). Clean, pressed and in near-new condition. Natural fibres preferred. Consignment only. Items kept for 3 months. Unsold items are returned or donated to charity. Tel: 604-263-5313
- Merry-Go-Round - 2279 Elgin Ave., Port Coquitlam, B.C. Top quality children’s clothing (newborn to size 16), maternity wear, baby accessories, and furniture. Carries new clothing and designer gifts. Freshly laundered with no stains or tears. Equipment must be in good repair. Consignment only (50% for clothing and 50% for furniture). Items kept for 60 days. Unsold items are returned or donated to charity. Call for appointment. Tel: 604-944-0304
- Secret Closet Children’s Consignment - 1844 Marine Dr., West Vancouver, B.C. Contemporary high-end children’s clothing (newborn to size 14), accessories, baby equipment (e.g. strollers, highchairs, playpens, carseats), books, furniture, and toys. Equipment and furniture must meet safety requirements, be clean and of high quality. Clothes must be clean, pressed and no stains or tears. Consignment only (45%), contract for 90 days. Drop-off Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday. Call for appointment.Tel: 604-926-1630
- Smarty’s Quality Children’s Consignment - 5 – 1363 56th St., Tsawwassen, B.C. Quality used children’s clothing (newborn to teen), maternity wear, footwear, Halloween costumes, books, toys. Also sells new items. Clean and ready to sell. Consignment only (60/40 split or credit). Unsold items are returned or donated to charity. Call for appointment. Tel: 604-943-1033
- Tiggy-Winkles - 708 West 16th Ave., Vancouver, B.C. - Good quality children’s clothing (newborn to size 12), children’s toys, books, cribs, highchairs and strollers. Very good condition. All equipment must meet current safety standards. Consignment only (40%). Items kept for 3 months with price reduced every 30 days. Unsold items are returned or donated to charity. Call for details. Tel: 604-731-8647
- Toy Traders - Unit 150 – 19888 Langley Bypass, Langley, B.C. All children’s toys, books, games, puzzles and baby equipment, including gates and monitors. Gently used condition. Must be in working order. No stuffed animals. No infant car seats, clothing, bedding or shoes. “Trader Bucks” for appraised value of used toy, can be used for instant credit on any item, new or used. No expiry date on “Trader Bucks.” Call for more details. Tel: 604-532-9516
- Wee Ones’ Reruns - 612 Kingsway, Vancouver, B.C. Good quality children’s clothing (newborn to size 8). Anything child related, including baby equipment, accessories, furniture and toys. Like-new condition and in-season. Baby equipment must meet current safety standards and be in working order. Consignment only (45%). Items kept for 4 months; after 2 months, price reduced 30%; after 4 months, reduced to 50%. Unsold items are returned or donated to charity. Call for appointment. Tel: 604-708-0956